NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) & Chiropractic Treatment
At Wellbeing Chiropractic we see people who use the NDIS to see a chiropractor for a range of musculo-skeletal complaints and conditions that may be impacting their mobility and quality of life. On this page you will find information about the NDIS, chiropractic and the process which we recommend to follow in order to access your NDIS funding for Chiropractic services. Our team has guided many patients through the often challenging NDIS process; providing them with advice and assistance so that they can use their funding for chiropractic services, treatment and management.
If you are unsure where to begin; or just want some advice with the process you can telephone our NDIS manager, Sara Benkoula, on 9882-7135 or [email protected]
3 Ways to use your NDIS funding:
1. Plan Managers
Every participant has the right to seek help from a Plan Manager. The funds for a Plan Manager will not take away any funding off your plan. Your Plan Manager will act like a financial intermediary support between you and the NDIA. Your Plan Manager will pay for all the services and support that you have selected.
With the help of a Plan Manager you:
- Will not be limited to using only NDIS Registered providers.
- Will have the freedom and flexibility to choose and organise your own providers, even NDIS unregistered providers.
- Will need to stick to the NDIS price guide as services cannot be paid at a higher rate.
Below is a list of just some of the plan managers:
- My Plan Partners – Alphandis
- My Plan Manager – Budget Net
- Instacare – Afea
- Maple Plan – Karista
- Leap in – Moira
- South East Care – My Integra
- Bright PMP – EIN
- Aus Care Support – Leisure Networks
- My Plan Support – Enabled 4 Life
- My Care Space – Morris Fox
- AFS – Capital Guardians
- Plan Tracker – ISM
2. Self management:
If you choose to self manage your plan, you will be able to select and pay for services and receive funding straight from the NDIA. This means you will be:
- Not limited to using only NDIS Registered providers.
- Not tied to the NDIS fee schedule and pay for any services whatever their fees are.
- Have the freedom and flexibility to choose and organise your own providers, even NDIS unregistered providers.
3. NDIA Managed
If the NDIA manages your plan, it means that they will directly pay for services for you. The NDIA will manage your book keeping and records of your spending. You won’t have the flexibility to choose your services as the NDIS will only pay for support and services if the practitioners are registered with the NDIS.
You can find more information on Ways to manage your Plan and Fundings on the NDIA Website
WHAT IS THE NDIS?
NDIS stands for the National Disability Insurance Scheme. This is being utilised across all of Australia’s states and territories and funded by the government. It is a scheme that supports those with disabilities to allow these individuals access to the care they need with peace of mind. Disabilities that may be eligible for this scheme include those with permanent or significant physical, sensory, psychosocial, intellectual and cognitive disabilities. NDIS fund approximately $22 billion per year to 500,000 Australian’s to help improve the person’s quality of life.
There are many supports that can be funded by the NDIS such as health, housing, education, sporting clubs and libraries.These include transport to and from daily personal activities, assistance with your work environment, behaviour support household assistance, home modifications, equipment and vehicle modifications.
Health professionals which are covered by NDIS include Chiropractors, Audiologists, Occupational Therapists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, Speech Pathologists and many more.
You may be eligible to receive such support if you:
- are under 65 years old
- live in the state or territory where NDIS is provided
- are an Australian citizen or permanent resident or Protected Special Category Visa holder
- meet the requirements for disability or early intervention as outlined by NDIS
If you think you meet these requirements, you can apply for access and usually you remain eligible for life.
Once an application has been approved, funding is provided to either the individual or the guardian who can choose which area/s this funding should be dedicated to. There are 3 ways to manage an NDIS plan. These include plan managers, self managed or NDIA managed.
- Chiropractors are primary contact practitioners which have the right and duty to diagnose conditions, which includes performing or ordering skeletal imaging.
- Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by D.D Palmer as a health profession
- All Chiropractors in Australia have to be licensed and regulated by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority (AHPRA)
- Chiropractic has been shown it may benefit in the treatment of selected low back pain, neck pain and other musculo-skeletal conditions
- Chiropractic techniques include adjustments, soft tissue techniques, rehabilitation, activator and drop piece
- Chiropractors in Australia study for a minimum of 5 years at university level
- Aside from treating the spine, chiropractors are also able to deal with selected musculoskeletal issues with the extremities such as the shoulder, knee, elbow
- The word Chiropractic means “done by hand”or to do by hand
- Chiropractic assessment involves checking the position and movement of joints and relating it to its effects of global range of motion of the body.
- There are 5277 Chiropractors practicing in Australia currently and that number is growing.
- Medical Doctors occasionally manage patients with Chiropractors in what’s called a Team Care Arrangement to get the best outcomes for patients (used through Medicare)
- Many private health insurers in Australia have cover for Chiropractic care
ABOUT WELLBEING CHIROPRACTIC
There are 20+ chiropractic Wellbeing clinics around Melbourne. With over 30 Chiropractors, 10+ massage therapists and a team of other allied health professionals (acupuncturist, counselors, psychologists, kinesiologists) at Wellbeing our experienced team pride themselves on delivering treatment and result to a high standard, with each chiropractor tailoring treatment for the individuals needs.
Wellbeing Chiropractor’s use a holistic approach when treating patients. When necessary our chiropractors will primarily use manual adjustments. Our Chiros also use a range of other modern and traditional techniques including spinal decompression, activator, exercise advice, orthotic prescription, lifestyle coaching and home & workplace ergonomic assessments. Our chiropractors have also provided advice to carers and family members of patients who require assistance, with lifting, moving and living with people with additional needs and requirements.