Unique Facts about the human bodyAug 29, 2019
1. Nobody can tickle themselves.
2. Everyone has their own distinctive smell.
3. Your heart sits on the left side of your body. Therefore, there is less room on the left side of your body for your lungs and so your left lung is smaller.
4. Being tired from a lack of sleep will kill someone before they starve to death
5. It takes several weeks to die from hunger whereas death would occur after ten days without sleep.
6. Bacteria and enzymes that line the stomach will turn on you within 3 days of death, and start breaking down your/the host’s body.
7. Comparison of the human eye to a camera puts it at 500 megapixels
8. When men are asleep, there is a high chance they will have an erection.
9. At birth, it is known that girls have a superior sense of smell.
10. When you’re sitting on a plane, your hair grows at twice the speed as normal.
11. There are no animals that sleep on their back, except us humans, who only do so sometimes.
12. There are two facial features that do not stop growing until we die, these are the ears and the nose
13. Can you think of anything you could do 20,000 times per day? What if you were already doing it? Breathing!
14. Carbon monoxide poisoning will kill someone in a room without air ventilation before lack of oxygen does.
15. Another reason to hate Mondays. German researchers suggest that the likelihood of having a heart attack on that day is the highest of any day of the week.
16. It is thought that the eye can see up to 10million colours, but its too much for the brain. There isn’t enough room to remember them all
17. Imagine tensing one of your muscles 35 million times a year, that would be exhausting! Well, your heart does it! So look after it with exercise and a healthy diet
18. Which sex would you think has a more sensitive tougue to taste? Well females have more tastebuds than males- so females win again!
19. You might have heard this before, but it is harder to cry and frown than smile. This is based on the number of muscles used. Where it takes far less to smile 🙂
20. Your liver is amazing! It is the only organ that is capable of regenerating itself. Although damage is still possible will continued abuse.
21. Leg= long. Ear=short. The bones in the body are all different shapes and sizes. The bone in your leg called the femur is the longest and tiny bones in your inner-ear are the smallest.
22. Just like a fingerprint, each tongue has its own characteristics.
23. What do you think grows faster, your fingernails or your toe nails! The answer: Your fingernails by 4 times the speed
24. 45,000 kilograms of food is the average amount that a person will consume in their lifetime.
25. We humans spend more than 10% of our time on the earth eating food!
26. Over the course of your life, your heart will beat over 1 billion times. Although it may seem like more when your sports team is in a close match.
27. When you think about fast growing hair you cannot forget about facial hair, it’s the fastest growing hair on the body
28. Wondering which sex’ heart beats faster? Of course not, but here is the answer anyway. Once again females come out on top.
29. If for some reason your head is amputated, you have the potential to remain conscious for over 15 seconds. That’s a scary thought
30. Women find it harder to burn fat than men. Just throughout normal daily activity a man will, on average, burn 50 calories more.
31. Philtrum- the space between your upper lip and nose.